In this article, you’ll learn how to create a rating widget for your WordPress-powered website using TotalRating.
This glossary helps you grasp the creation process of a rating widget and reduce the ambiguity.
|Rating||A rating is an evaluation or assessment of an entity, in terms of quality, quantity, or some combination of both.|
|Attribute||A quality of an entity that has an assessed value within a scale. For example, a 5-stars scale of product quality.|
|Entity||An entity is an object that receives a rating. For instance, a post is an entity.|
|Widget||The widget refers to a “box” where users can cast their ratings and see results.|
|Preset||A premade set of attributes that serves a general-purpose such 5-stars, thumbs up/down, etc…|
First, we need to launch the wizard, from the bottom navigation panel, navigate to widgets:
You can also launch the wizard by pressing
F2on your keyboard.
Then from the “let’s get started” box, choose a preset or start with an empty widget. For the sake of simplicity, 5 Stars preset will be used in this article.
The wizard window will appear right away. The wizard consists of 3 steps that cover main widget functionality, you can configure it further after creating the widget.
- Widget name: Mainly for administrators to label and recognize widgets easily.
- Preset: It’s based on your previous selection, but if you want to change that, you can easily switch to another preset.
- Entities: You can choose what entities are linked to the rating widget, it could be a post type or unspecified if you want to integrate the widget manually later on.
Look & feel#
- Color palette: Depending on your website design, you can either use a light palette or a dark one.
- Spacing: You can adjust the spacing and choose what suits your website design.
- Emplacement: Control the emplacement of the widget, whether underneath the content or above it.
- Results visibility: Control who can see results.
- Confirmation: You can use this behaviour to prevent accidental ratings.
Once you finish the configuration, click on finish, you’ll be redirected to widget editor for further configuration.